16:00:16 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:00:16 <bb-supy`> Meeting started Tue Jul 21 16:00:16 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:16 <bb-supy`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:00:16 <bb-supy`> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:00:30 <djmitche> #link https://etherpad.mozilla.org/buildbot-agenda
16:00:38 * djmitche waves to everyone
16:00:54 <djmitche> #topic last week's action items
16:01:08 <djmitche> so I wen through the mailing list thread about nine and wrote some bugs up
16:01:17 <djmitche> they're listed in the agenda etherpad (https://etherpad.mozilla.org/buildbot-agenda)
16:01:20 <sa2ajj> the py3/py2 check looks trivial, but i still did not manage to do it :(
16:01:26 <djmitche> I also replied to the list, but my email was rejected (more on that later)
16:01:43 <djmitche> it's OK, I've got a bunch of trivial things that have been waiting weeks for me to do them!
16:02:05 <tardyp> guys, I wont be able to join
16:02:07 <djmitche> parmegv: you'lls ee rebuild in there (2639)
16:02:14 <tardyp> got some prod issue right now.
16:02:20 <djmitche> tardyp: ok, anything you want us to bring up?
16:02:26 <tardyp> not really
16:02:30 <djmitche> just switch to staging, it will work fine ;)
16:02:31 <djmitche> ok
16:03:29 <sa2ajj> do we have a milestone for beta?
16:03:33 <djmitche> the one thing I didn't put in an issue is the problem of installing python packages with dashes
16:03:43 <djmitche> not sure if that got resolved -- but we've had `buildbot-slave` for a long time
16:03:49 <djmitche> sa2ajj: no, not yet
16:03:51 <djmitche> I put them all in 0.9.0
16:04:14 <sa2ajj> re dashes: they should be ok
16:04:21 <djmitche> OK, I figured
16:04:55 <djmitche> I didn't look at #3287 (py3 check) either
16:05:07 <djmitche> I went through pull reqs, closed a few, commented a few
16:05:11 <djmitche> and tagged a few as merge-me
16:05:23 <djmitche> I put up docs on updating the pypi mirror directly
16:05:34 <djmitche> http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/HowToUploadPythonPackages
16:05:41 <sa2ajj> i'll look at "merge me" prs
16:06:04 <djmitche> skelly: did I miss a bug about automatically adding python packages via bb-infra?
16:06:22 <skelly> yes
16:06:33 * skelly looks for it
16:07:02 <skelly> http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3306
16:07:13 <djmitche> #info nine bugs filed (but not assigned to a milestone); PR's triaged
16:07:27 <djmitche> #info uploading python packages documented and a bug filed for an automated way to do it (3306)
16:07:30 <djmitche> thanks!
16:07:43 <djmitche> #topic How to handle abandoned PRs
16:08:01 <djmitche> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3Astalled
16:08:24 <djmitche> My proposal is, close them with the "stalled" tag and a friendly note
16:08:26 <sa2ajj> i'll look at all 'eight'
16:08:48 <djmitche> But most of the PRs I left open are *really* close - just lacking docs or relnotes or the like
16:09:03 <sa2ajj> i'd say we non-stalled -> stalled one week after last activity from the submitter
16:09:05 <skelly> at what point do they qualify as stalled? 30 days?
16:09:18 <djmitche> that's never been formalized
16:09:18 <sa2ajj> stalled -> closed w/ friendly note one month after it got stalled
16:09:33 <djmitche> that seems reasonable
16:09:33 <sa2ajj> s/we//
16:09:56 <djmitche> ewong: would you be interested in trying to get some of those PR's across the finish line?
16:10:02 <jaredgrubb> maybe "relnotes" and "needs-tests" tags or something
16:10:10 <djmitche> they'd usually involve reading the diff, figuring out what docs/relnotes to add, and adding them
16:10:12 <djmitche> yeah
16:10:22 <skelly> sa2ajj: one month as 30 days or e.g. July 5 -> August 5? (or four weeks)
16:10:31 <sa2ajj> 30 days :)
16:10:34 <jaredgrubb> relnotes is a simple "Just finish it" kind of patch … needs-tests is much harder
16:10:37 <djmitche> "a month..ish"
16:10:43 <djmitche> agreed
16:11:08 <sa2ajj> others?
16:11:24 <djmitche> #info proposed policy is one week until a PR is tagged with "stalled", and then closing it one month after
16:11:38 <djmitche> #info and add needs-docs, needs-relnotes, needs-tests tags for ease of searching
16:11:50 <djmitche> #info as these make good short/easy tasks
16:12:05 <sa2ajj> yes, and 'needs more work' for stuff that does not fall in these categories
16:12:16 <djmitche> yep
16:12:36 <djmitche> that's already set on all of them but the "WIP logs compression" pull
16:13:11 <djmitche> #action djmitche to write down PR policy
16:13:15 <sa2ajj> yes, however for stalled ones, one has to review again to understand what's missing :)
16:13:33 <djmitche> #action djmitche to create new tags, apply to existing stalled PRs
16:13:37 <djmitche> :D
16:13:52 <djmitche> #topic swag - who wants some, what do you want
16:14:20 <djmitche> I've handed out sitckers and some plexiglass widgets before
16:14:31 * sa2ajj got stickers :)
16:14:50 <sa2ajj> if there were t-shirts, that'd be nice
16:14:54 <jaredgrubb> since ill be the only Gsoc person at summit .. i would like to have some this year
16:14:58 <djmitche> we could do more stickers, shirts, ..
16:14:59 * sa2ajj is in process of promoting bb internally
16:15:02 <jaredgrubb> we were left out of sticker table!
16:15:11 <djmitche> #action djmitche to send a pack of stickers or two to jared
16:15:22 <djmitche> jaredgrubb: I don't remember if I have your address -- can you email it to me?
16:15:27 <jaredgrubb> will do
16:15:39 <jaredgrubb> i have to actually run now .. sorry to leave early. … nothing other to report from me
16:15:45 <djmitche> s'ok, cya!
16:15:56 <djmitche> sa2ajj: tricky bit with t-shirts is sizing and ordering enough to make it worthwhile
16:16:11 <sa2ajj> for me it's easy [x]xl :)
16:16:40 <djmitche> do you think we should try to give them away, or request donations for them, or ..
16:16:51 <djmitche> (not sure if we could "sell" them)
16:17:04 <djmitche> another option is cafepress, where everyone just orders them from cafepress
16:17:07 <sa2ajj> actually, we could give them away to contributors of the quarter/half a year, for example
16:18:18 <djmitche> we'd need to define "contributors"
16:18:21 <djmitche> but yeah
16:18:32 <sa2ajj> let me formulate it for the next time
16:18:41 <sa2ajj> [try to] :)
16:18:59 <djmitche> ok
16:19:15 <djmitche> #action sa2ajj to propose a way to distribute t-shirts & other swag to contributors
16:19:34 <djmitche> #action djmitche to look into cafepress for BB shirts, mugs, etc.
16:19:56 <djmitche> sa2ajj: is there something in particular we could do to make it easier for people to evangelize internally?
16:20:20 <djmitche> (sorry this meeting's going slower -- lots to discuss!)
16:20:30 <sa2ajj> not really: everybody has nih desease... (or however it's spellt)
16:20:39 <djmitche> haha
16:21:00 <djmitche> "NIH" is national institutes of health here, so "NIH disease" sounds particularly contagious
16:21:07 <sa2ajj> :D
16:21:16 <djmitche> #topic status of nine development
16:21:33 <djmitche> aside from filing new bugs, what's new?
16:21:52 <sa2ajj> wampmq
16:22:04 <sa2ajj> there were a couple of changes, it's not merged yet though
16:22:08 <djmitche> ah, yes
16:22:20 <djmitche> #info WAMP-MQ support is in progress
16:22:25 <djmitche> that's using crossbar.io, right?
16:22:29 <sa2ajj> yes
16:22:35 <djmitche> but with some kind of fallback for those without crossbar installed?
16:23:03 <sa2ajj> on a slightly related note, maybe move 'weekly stats' from sunday to some time (several hrs) before this meeting?
16:23:13 <sa2ajj> i did not look very closely
16:23:32 <djmitche> oh, good idea
16:23:33 <sa2ajj> tardyp would be a better source for comments for that (as he submitted it :))
16:23:49 <djmitche> #action djmitche movto move weekly stats email to a few hours before weekly meeting, with a note in it
16:23:52 <djmitche> yeah
16:24:04 <djmitche> #topic donation buttons
16:24:21 <djmitche> #info verm said earlier: "update on the donors page: still working on it unfortunatly i'll have something for the next meeting"
16:24:35 <djmitche> #topic GSoC projects
16:24:42 <djmitche> #info stats (prasoon)
16:24:47 <djmitche> I saw more action on the stats PR
16:25:17 <sa2ajj> the previous one was merged, the new one is to address my and others' comments
16:25:31 <djmitche> yes - https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/1774
16:25:49 <djmitche> I see a lot of unchecked checkboxes there, but good progress
16:26:12 <djmitche> #info new PR to address comments on #1725
16:26:20 <sa2ajj> abc will be a bit of problem
16:26:21 <djmitche> #info material design (chase)
16:26:31 <djmitche> anyone around for this?
16:27:06 <tothandras> he is working on the builder page
16:27:25 <djmitche> cool
16:27:27 <djmitche> any updates on the demo?
16:27:53 <tothandras> I don't know details
16:27:56 <tothandras> :)
16:28:04 <djmitche> ok
16:28:09 <djmitche> how about your work? how's that going?
16:28:15 <djmitche> does that intersect with the WAMP-MQ stuff?
16:28:30 <djmitche> #info new data API (andras)
16:28:57 <tothandras> I am not sure, we will do a skype meeting with Pierre this week
16:29:13 <djmitche> ok
16:29:28 <djmitche> :thumbsup:
16:29:32 <djmitche> #info     py3 port (jørn)
16:29:53 <djmitche> I don't see Lurimax or Jared so I'm assuming no info here
16:29:56 <sa2ajj> he does not seem to be online
16:30:08 <sa2ajj> one thing: he mentioned new style classes
16:30:09 <bobhood> I met with Jørn yesterday.
16:30:16 <djmitche> ohai!
16:30:27 <sa2ajj> these seem to be a pre-requisite for abcs...
16:30:27 <djmitche> what's new?
16:30:28 <bobhood> He says he and Jared are pleased with the progress on Buildbot.
16:30:31 <bobhood> However...
16:31:11 <bobhood> We are still behind on twisted, because of their progress.  I asked him how long it would take him to finish the project if he had everything he needed from twisted today.
16:31:12 * sa2ajj . o O (tensions builds up...)
16:31:49 <bobhood> He estimated 1-2 weeks.  That means we have a drop-dead date of about August 10th before the project may be in real risk of becoming a (technical) failure.
16:32:22 <bobhood> If we don't have what we need in twisted by that date, then it's likely we won't be able to complete the project by the GSoC "pencils down" date.
16:32:26 <djmitche> well to be clear that's not a technical failure :)
16:32:50 <djmitche> but I see your point
16:32:54 <bobhood> I mean technically as far as Google is concerned.
16:33:34 <bb-github> [13buildbot] 15ravench comment on issue #1779: This should do it.... 02http://git.io/vYeKV
16:33:38 <bobhood> He's moving to England this week, so he's working on the documentation.
16:33:42 <djmitche> ah, ok
16:33:47 <djmitche> we'll talk after about goog's expectations
16:34:01 <djmitche> Do you know who he's been talking to in Twisted?
16:34:03 <djmitche> I can try to follow up
16:34:14 <bobhood> No, but I would assume Jared does.
16:34:23 <djmitche> #action djmitche to track down some Twisted folks to see what the delay is (info from jared / jorn)
16:34:26 <djmitche> kk
16:34:59 <djmitche> #topic automation to mirror packages to ftp.buildbot.net
16:35:31 <djmitche> skelly: I think you had suggested basically putting a list of package filenames and mirroring those from pypi
16:35:37 <djmitche> do you want to try anything fancier?
16:35:38 <sa2ajj> what kind of packages are we talking about after all?
16:35:47 <skelly> djmitche: no
16:35:56 <djmitche> https://ftp.buildbot.net/pub/metabuildbot/python-packages/
16:36:07 <djmitche> stuff required by metabuildbot slaves
16:36:20 <djmitche> since otherwise they fail when pypi is down
16:36:20 <djmitche> ok
16:36:21 <sa2ajj> yes, i know there're some packages there. how new packages become needed?
16:36:34 <djmitche> jorn ran into it when he required futures, for example
16:36:37 <djmitche> it's relatively rare
16:36:48 <skelly> tardyp needs/needed one too
16:36:51 <sa2ajj> right
16:37:13 <djmitche> doing so in bb-infra will at least let us track when/why a package was added
16:37:23 <skelly> basically that
16:37:28 <djmitche> and is pretty easy with a PR and the "merge" button
16:37:30 <djmitche> ok
16:37:38 <djmitche> #topic     Migrating lists to bb.net (http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3136)
16:37:39 <sa2ajj> so what's the workflow then?
16:37:48 * sa2ajj . o O (too fast...)
16:37:56 <djmitche> sa2ajj: someone who needs a package files a PR to add a filename to the list
16:37:59 <djmitche> and one of us merges it
16:38:02 <djmitche> then it deploys automatically
16:38:07 <sa2ajj> right
16:39:01 <djmitche> #info lists.sourceforge.net seems to be failing to deliver messages, and anyway its archive service sucks
16:39:21 <djmitche> #info we have lists.buildbot.net set up, but currently only running a few low-traffic lists - we want to migrate and split buildbot-devel
16:39:43 <djmitche> I think the key holdup has been getting the archive tarball
16:39:55 <sa2ajj> that was the last time we discussed it
16:39:56 <skelly> can we do that after migrating?
16:40:16 <sa2ajj> that sounds like a good idea
16:40:29 <djmitche> yeah, true
16:40:40 <sa2ajj> except that old address would still accept messages unless we do something about it
16:40:59 <djmitche> I think we can change the SF lists to moderated
16:41:02 <sa2ajj> the best would be to redirect messages to the new address while keeping the archives online
16:41:03 <djmitche> with a rejection message
16:41:18 <djmitche> yeah, I'm not sure that redirecting is practical (I don't think SF supports it)
16:41:19 * sa2ajj does not like rejection message
16:41:47 <sa2ajj> it is practical since the current address is widely known
16:42:08 <djmitche> s/practical/possible/
16:42:16 <skelly> SF has to get back up too before it can be even considered
16:42:25 <djmitche> true
16:42:45 <djmitche> skelly: is this something you might be able to hack on?
16:42:59 <skelly> which part?
16:43:27 <djmitche> the migration without archives
16:43:49 <skelly> as I understand it, aren't the new lists live and just unused?
16:44:02 <sa2ajj> that was my impression as well
16:44:04 <djmitche> I believe so
16:44:26 <djmitche> so it would basically mean figuring out how to migrate the member lists, announcing, and then configuring the SF lists as best as possible to send people over
16:44:28 <skelly> so, maybe first step is to get a subscriber list, even if old, import them all, and send a mail
16:44:29 <sa2ajj> there were some issues with users and announcement though... i don't know if they were resolved
16:44:48 <djmitche> skelly: that sounds about right
16:44:59 <djmitche> I think we can get a newer one -- i can get you the credentials out of band
16:45:04 <skelly> okay
16:45:07 <djmitche> cool!
16:45:08 <skelly> I'll take a look then
16:45:25 <djmitche> #action skelly to take a look at migrating mailing lists without archives (with the option to move archives later)
16:45:35 <djmitche> ok, that's all I have
16:45:39 <djmitche> any other business?
16:45:47 <sa2ajj> not from me
16:45:55 <skelly> ditto
16:46:03 <djmitche> sweet
16:46:05 <djmitche> #endmeeting