16:31:07 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:31:07 <bb-supy> Meeting started Tue Oct 11 16:31:07 2016 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:31:07 <bb-supy> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:31:07 <bb-supy> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:31:11 * djmitche waves to gracinet
16:31:18 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
16:31:19 <tardyp> hihi
16:31:24 <rutsky> hi!
16:31:27 <djmitche> https://titanpad.com/buildbot-agenda
16:31:40 <djmitche> #nick sa2ajj gracinet
16:31:47 <djmitche> who else is here?
16:32:08 <skelly> here
16:32:09 <tardyp> I have a hardstop in 30min. I think we should anyway try to limit us more on those meeting
16:32:25 <djmitche> ok
16:32:32 <tardyp> would you agree to put it 30min + offtopic discussions afterward?
16:32:36 <djmitche> sure
16:32:44 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
16:32:46 <tardyp> offtopic or deep details
16:32:47 <djmitche> go :)
16:32:48 <djmitche> yeah
16:33:33 <tardyp> We had a bunch of new contributors this week
16:33:59 <tardyp> a few PRs with new feature probably triggered with people starting to use nine, so that is cool
16:34:18 <djmitche> that's awesome
16:34:26 <djmitche> hopefully the beginning of some good momentum
16:34:37 <tardyp> yep
16:34:38 <djmitche> #info uptick in the number of new contributors this week
16:34:47 <djmitche> anything else?
16:35:09 <tardyp> We had craig doing a bump on its py3 PR as well. some of them where merged some are still in discussion
16:35:36 <tardyp> mostly the discussions are about import orders, and also avoiding to have too much if PY3
16:35:46 <djmitche> #info more progress on python-3 compatibility
16:35:56 <djmitche> cool
16:35:58 <djmitche> and also
16:36:04 <djmitche> #topic 0.9.0 release!
16:36:14 <djmitche> #info we have made it to nine!
16:36:44 <gracinet> I don't swear on IRC, so uh heartily congrats !
16:36:57 <djmitche> haha
16:37:09 <tardyp> \o/
16:37:16 <djmitche> #info release was named 0.9.0.post1 due to some pypi conflicts
16:37:26 <tardyp> 46 installs of the post1 release
16:37:27 <djmitche> tardyp: that was a *lot* of hard work on your part, so .. thank you
16:37:30 * sa2ajj reminder to self: smoking kills
16:37:30 <djmitche> !!
16:37:49 <sa2ajj> tardyp: thank you very much indeed!
16:37:58 <tardyp> yw
16:38:09 <tardyp> thanks to djmitche for starting that sh**t
16:38:16 <rutsky> congratulations!
16:38:29 <djmitche> haha
16:38:40 <djmitche> anything to add here?
16:38:41 <rutsky> thanks for all contributors and yes, special thanks to you, Pierre!
16:38:51 <sa2ajj> tardyp: you are not a finn, this is one of finnish nightmares (search for it! :))
16:39:49 <djmitche> #topic Trac to Github
16:40:01 <djmitche> we have a bug open now
16:40:01 <djmitche> http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3623
16:40:16 <djmitche> with some open questions
16:40:48 <rutsky> are there any active opposition to migration to github issues?
16:40:57 <sa2ajj> i had a quick a look around: basically people just want to migrate anyhow
16:40:58 <djmitche> nobody seems to be saying "nooo!"
16:41:01 <djmitche> yeah
16:41:07 <djmitche> so the question is just how, and how much work
16:41:13 <InitHello> for what it's worth, I'm strongly in favor of that on at least a philosophical level
16:41:15 <bdbaddog> no opposition.
16:41:25 <InitHello> and would be willing to assist with the migration
16:41:33 <tardyp> good
16:41:33 <InitHello> (that's how strongly)
16:41:35 <djmitche> #info opinions seem to be overwhelmingly in favor of transitioning in general
16:41:37 <djmitche> haha
16:41:40 <sa2ajj> gh offered a feature to be able to specify the reporter
16:41:50 <rutsky> I'm not against migration (I think Buildbot will benefit from it), but I understand arguments like Github is closed source/vendor lockin/requitements to register there
16:41:55 <sa2ajj> this does not seem to be the case any more
16:41:57 <tardyp> I like the idea of only taking the 0.9.0+ bugs, and start from clean backlog
16:42:12 <sa2ajj> tardyp: my thinking exactly
16:42:16 <tardyp> we can keep trac for old bugs and for reference
16:42:19 <djmitche> I do not want to lose the text of the old bugs, though
16:42:27 <djmitche> yeah
16:42:38 <djmitche> and maybe eventually make that static, rather than running tracd
16:42:39 <sa2ajj> so the defect above is to record what we want to get in the end
16:42:58 <djmitche> sa2ajj: so I think we can take a few minutes here (not too long) to decide
16:43:13 <djmitche> sounds like "yes" to 0.9.+ only, with the proviso that we keep the old data somewhere
16:43:16 <rutsky> is this question was raised on the mailing list?
16:43:17 <InitHello> I feel that rutsky's points are valid
16:43:17 <sa2ajj> my feeling is that a) we'd need to write own migrator (is that a word?) b) that shouldn't be too difficult (see below)
16:43:26 <sa2ajj> trac offers solid api
16:43:28 <djmitche> it is a word :)
16:43:34 <InitHello> sa2ajj: a very small shell script ought to do it
16:43:39 <sa2ajj> gh offers a solid api
16:43:49 <tardyp> ah. trac does not
16:44:00 <sa2ajj> InitHello: i do not think _shell_ script would be enough
16:44:03 <sa2ajj> tardyp: it does
16:44:12 <sa2ajj> e.g. all those hooks you can write suggest it does
16:44:17 <tardyp> I couldn't find it
16:44:21 <InitHello> well, no
16:44:25 <djmitche> there's an XMLRPC interface, and there's a Python interface
16:44:35 <djmitche> it's also db-backed, so we could pull things from the DB
16:44:37 <InitHello> unless you're running pysh, which I don't think exists
16:44:41 <sa2ajj> xml-rpc is probably an overkill here :/
16:44:47 <djmitche> yeah
16:45:17 <sa2ajj> re trac's api: i remember (!) writing some custom hooks [years ago]
16:45:32 <tardyp> I think it is best to write a simple trac mysql2github.py script
16:45:44 <sa2ajj> and since i still remember that i used python, the api is not that bad
16:45:49 <tardyp> I dont think we should start with that php stuff except as a model
16:45:50 <gracinet> and I remember that the schema (used to be) simple enough that trac actually encourages storing reports as SQL queries
16:45:54 <djmitche> #agreed will migrate only 0.9+ bugs, but with the proviso that we keep the old data accessible somewhere
16:46:20 <djmitche> regarding reporters -- I don't think we can translate trac to github usernames easily
16:46:25 <sa2ajj> *before* we start discussing technical approaches, the question: what we want to have migrated
16:46:30 <djmitche> so I'd say just record them in the github comment?
16:46:40 <tardyp> There is the email in the admin interface
16:46:48 <tomprince> There is an amp based unterface to the trac db that was written for twisted once upon a time.
16:46:48 <tardyp> so it must be in the db
16:46:55 <tardyp> then how to match email with github names
16:47:00 <sa2ajj> tomprince: any refs?
16:47:29 <bb-github> [13buildbot] 15codecov-io commented on issue #2443: ## [Current coverage](https://codecov.io/gh/buildbot/buildbot/pull/2443?src=pr) is 86.75% (diff: 96.15%)
16:47:30 <sa2ajj> the outline: migrated issues are owned by bb-bot
16:47:49 <tomprince> https://github.com/twisted-infra/amptrac
16:48:03 <sa2ajj> body has "missing" meta-info + the actual ticket
16:48:16 <sa2ajj> comments -- same thing
16:48:30 <djmitche> I'm OK with that
16:48:48 <djmitche> I don't think people will be too concerned to see ported issues as owned by themselves
16:48:51 <sa2ajj> if there's a way to match anybody, @<anobody> is used
16:49:01 * sa2ajj nods
16:49:27 <djmitche> ok
16:49:34 <djmitche> time's running short
16:49:38 <djmitche> let's defer the rest until after
16:50:00 <djmitche> #agreed migrated issues are owned by bb-bot, with author information in the first comment
16:50:01 <tardyp> amptrac is sqlite only
16:50:04 <sa2ajj> so imnsho, we need to describe what we want to a) migrated, b) what important things we'd like to keep
16:50:06 <tardyp> while we are mysql
16:50:18 <sa2ajj> dm
16:50:22 <djmitche> #topic pycon @ HKI
16:50:27 <djmitche> we'll loop back after the meeting :)
16:50:38 <sa2ajj> anybody's coming? :)
16:50:44 <djmitche> #info Are other buildbotters going to HKI?
16:50:58 <sa2ajj> hki is a capital of a small country nobody knows about :)
16:51:23 <sa2ajj> except linus [rumors!] came from that country
16:51:36 <rutsky> any link on conference details?
16:51:47 <bdbaddog> hki = helen keller international according to google.. ;)
16:51:50 <sa2ajj> http://fi.pycon.org/2016/
16:52:07 <djmitche> bdbaddog: Helsinki, FI
16:52:13 <sa2ajj> bdbaddog: hki = HEL according to FAA, iirc :D
16:52:29 <rutsky> sa2ajj: will you go on HKI?
16:52:38 * sa2ajj *is* in HKI
16:52:49 <rutsky> I think you should be closest one to Helsinki
16:53:07 <sa2ajj> technically, i am quite close :)
16:53:19 <rutsky> second one probably I am --- it's about 8 hours on a car from me :)
16:53:31 <rutsky> sa2ajj: so can you recommend this conference?
16:53:32 <sa2ajj> in any case, GE (not Good Enough, General Electric!) pays for it
16:53:48 <sa2ajj> rutsky: that's a difficult question :(
16:53:56 <sa2ajj> from the list of talks, i can't
16:54:08 <djmitche> way to sell it sa2ajj ;)
16:54:22 <sa2ajj> as for meeting fellow buildbotters, i do :)
16:54:30 <djmitche> indeed!!
16:54:46 <sa2ajj> djmitche: i lived in finland for way too long :)
16:54:54 <djmitche> haha
16:54:58 <djmitche> ok
16:54:59 <djmitche> in the last 5 minutes
16:55:07 <djmitche> #topic switching irc logs to botbot.me
16:55:16 <tardyp> I like it!
16:55:22 <djmitche> https://irccloud.mozilla.com/pastebin/04AuUEMr/
16:55:22 <djmitche> oops
16:55:33 <sa2ajj> back in nokia, one of my american colleauges was complain: do you know how finns sell new phone? "this phone is good, but you can't imaging how much better our next one is going to be" :D
16:55:37 <djmitche> cool guys use it (Rust, CoreOS), Open Source (?),  modern and maintained
16:55:49 <djmitche> future-focused :)
16:56:07 <djmitche> #info current irc logs are on jackgrigg.com
16:56:07 <skelly> can it fetch previous logs or would it be a break?
16:56:08 <sa2ajj> djmitche: i looked at it at the time and we have a ticket about this
16:56:11 <tomprince> Can they import old logs?
16:56:29 <sa2ajj> skelly: that's what stopped me at the time "it should be quite straightforward"
16:56:47 <tardyp> I guess, we can keep the old one
16:56:54 <djmitche> they manually set up, so we could ask
16:56:56 <tardyp> and we start that one on top
16:56:59 <sa2ajj> personally, i'd switch
16:57:03 <djmitche> tardyp: yes, I assume the jackgrigg links would stay up
16:57:16 <tardyp> yes
16:57:19 <djmitche> who put this on hte agenda?
16:57:22 <rutsky> I am
16:57:43 <rutsky> just noticed this project and decided to ask if it will be appliable for Buildbot :)
16:57:55 <sa2ajj> s(very much up)/complain/complaining/
16:58:04 <rutsky> sa2ajj: can you find ticket about it?
16:58:11 <djmitche> rutsky: so I think this is a +1, but let's ask them if they can import
16:58:16 <tomprince> If they *can* import old data, and people are in favor of switching, it probably doesn't make sense to block switching on importing old stuff, just making a note that we can and plan to eventually.
16:58:24 <djmitche> yes
16:58:29 <sa2ajj> you probably will find it faster by search for botbot
16:58:31 <tardyp> definitly modern, and a good argument for those who would like to move to slack
16:58:32 * tomprince doesn't have an opinion on switching, though.
16:58:58 <sa2ajj> i do not remember *why* i thought it was good at the time...
16:59:05 * tardyp does not like the move of ppl from irc to slack
16:59:13 <sa2ajj> but botbot.me had features that looked attractive
16:59:15 <djmitche> hah, yeah
16:59:17 <djmitche> ok
16:59:24 <sa2ajj> oh, slack! :)
16:59:28 <bdbaddog> scons project using botme for a while. no complains.
16:59:32 <sa2ajj> a topic for the next meeting :P
16:59:34 <bdbaddog> complaints
16:59:37 <djmitche> #agreed rutsky to contact botbot.me about setting up irc logs there, and see if they can import
16:59:48 <rutsky> http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/2853
16:59:50 <djmitche> #agreed we will switch, and either import or keep links to the existing logs
16:59:53 <djmitche> thanks!
16:59:54 <djmitche> ok
16:59:57 <djmitche> 6 seconds
17:00:01 <sa2ajj> :)
17:00:02 <djmitche> done!
17:00:07 <djmitche> #endmeeting