17:00:02 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
17:00:02 <bb-supy> Meeting started Tue Jan 17 17:00:02 2017 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:00:02 <bb-supy> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
17:00:02 <bb-supy> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
17:00:06 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
17:00:18 <rutsky> hi!
17:00:23 <djmitche> hi rutsky!
17:00:56 <djmitche> roll-call?
17:00:56 <tardyp> hello everybody
17:00:57 <skelly> here
17:01:03 <djmitche> as a reminder, we're limiting to 30 minutes
17:01:07 * djmitche waves
17:01:16 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
17:01:34 <tardyp> Quite a busy week!
17:01:43 <djmitche> the weekly email is long, yes -- highlights?
17:01:51 <tardyp> lots of py3 work
17:01:58 <tardyp> we got 100% pass on the worker side
17:02:27 <tardyp> and also lots of work to finish 2340
17:02:33 <djmitche> wow!!
17:02:54 <djmitche> #info Lots of Python 3 work, including worker 100% passing on Py3
17:03:10 <djmitche> #topic Releases
17:03:13 <tardyp> I've been working on optimizing the UI for multimaster and scalability in general
17:03:27 <tardyp> and on enhancing the reconfigurability for scheduler and changesource
17:03:27 <djmitche> oops :)
17:03:29 <djmitche> #undo
17:03:29 <bb-supy> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Topic object at 0x80695ca50>
17:03:53 <rutsky> is Perspective Broker works in Python 3?
17:03:54 <djmitche> #info UI and multimaster improvements, and reconfiguration improvements
17:04:31 <tardyp> rutsky: it does thanks to craig
17:04:48 <rutsky> issue seems resolved: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7598 does this mean that Twisted doesn't stop BB from moving to pure Python3 running mode?
17:04:54 <tardyp> he did a lot of works on twisted project for py3 as well
17:04:55 <djmitche> #info Craig worked to make Twisted PB work on Python3
17:05:03 <djmitche> that's really awesome :)
17:05:03 <rutsky> tardyp: yeah, I see Craig there :)
17:05:49 <djmitche> #topic Releases - 0.9.3
17:06:10 <djmitche> #info The most noticeable change you will see is improvements of the log views.
17:06:17 <djmitche> any other comments on 0.9.3?
17:06:47 <tardyp> no
17:06:54 <djmitche> ok :)
17:07:02 <djmitche> there's a hanging comment out on the mailing lists about 0.8.x
17:07:33 <djmitche> I haven't seen sa2ajj in a long time though :(
17:07:41 <djmitche> should we officially kill 0.8.x?
17:08:24 <tardyp> I'll drop him a mail, see if everything is fine for him
17:08:28 <djmitche> ok
17:08:41 <djmitche> #info no updates on 0.8.x releases, although there is at least one person who would like them
17:08:57 <djmitche> #topic Trac -> Github update
17:09:20 <djmitche> oh, hah, also stalled..
17:09:24 <tardyp> no news
17:09:36 <djmitche> #info no updates
17:09:47 <skelly> is his converter public?
17:09:59 <skelly> curious if we could just run it
17:10:19 <djmitche> skelly: https://github.com/buildbot/trac2gh
17:10:30 <djmitche> maybe, yeah -- let's see what his situation is first?
17:10:47 <skelly> yeah
17:10:50 <djmitche> cool
17:10:55 <tardyp> yes, I want to see if he is okay somebody take over
17:11:15 <djmitche> #agreed will try to contact sa2ajj to get status on this
17:11:22 <djmitche> #topic PyInstaller-based single-file installer
17:11:46 <rutsky> after some struggling I managed to get it working
17:12:00 <djmitche> I don't know if this has been updated or just left over from last week?
17:12:11 <rutsky> I have update for this
17:12:26 <rutsky> ticket have updated description: http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3657
17:12:28 <rutsky> in short: it works
17:12:44 <rutsky> there are some issues with building, but they are workaroundable
17:12:55 <tardyp> rutsky: want to update?
17:13:09 <rutsky> I prepared example scripts to generate single-file `buildbot-worker` binary: https://gist.github.com/rutsky/9f6e5b84050a31b1c4ef10e3a1d86f51
17:13:16 <tardyp> cool! for worker and master?
17:13:18 <rutsky> currently only on Linux x86_64
17:13:23 <rutsky> only worker
17:13:32 <rutsky> haven't tried master
17:13:50 <rutsky> most significant problem is lazy-loading of some modules using reflection
17:14:07 <djmitche> yeah, I bet
17:14:13 <tardyp> it is an installer, or a drop executable?
17:14:22 <rutsky> these modules just not being packaged and their absence is being "detected" only when result binary crashes at some point with "ImportError" exception
17:14:33 <rutsky> tardyp: drop-in executable
17:14:42 <tardyp> I think that is good especially for windows users
17:14:58 <tardyp> we had some support this week with one guy confused on how to install buildbot on windows
17:14:58 <rutsky> but in practice *on each run* it unpacks shared object to /tmp/ in order for ldd to work
17:15:14 <tardyp> python windows is not very easy with pywin32 and all that sh
17:15:30 <rutsky> I think this should work on Windows too (except potential issues with pywin32)
17:15:40 <djmitche> that would really be the big win
17:15:56 <rutsky> but I don't Windows environment (and, honestly, desire to run one)
17:16:15 <tardyp> that's always the problem with windows..
17:16:29 <djmitche> haha, I hear that
17:16:31 * dol-sen wonders why windows isn't completely dead already :/
17:16:38 <djmitche> if I ran the world..
17:16:40 <rutsky> and nowadays there are significantly much more Windowses flavors...
17:16:43 <tardyp> at work, we always give the windows stories to the juniors..
17:17:01 <djmitche> rutsky: well, there's just win10 and winxp really
17:17:17 <trh> i think ms is trying really hard with windows 10 to get rid of these annoying users :)
17:17:22 <dol-sen> yuk win 10 :(
17:17:35 <tardyp> anyway
17:17:41 <rutsky> djmitche: at my previous work we had Windows 7 only last year
17:17:49 <djmitche> #topic slave/worker renaming
17:18:01 <rutsky> anyway --- if there is volunteer to try in Windows --- I can help with that
17:18:03 <djmitche> rutsky: yeah, we're trying to replace winxp with win7 (as a 32-bit platform)
17:18:25 <rutsky> djmitche: few words for previous topic...
17:18:29 <nicolas17> [14:17] <djmitche> rutsky: well, there's just win10 and winxp really
17:18:31 <nicolas17> hah
17:18:36 <djmitche> #undo
17:18:36 <bb-supy> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Topic object at 0x8069a2bd0>
17:18:39 <nicolas17> win10 makes potentially breaking changes monthly
17:18:46 <rutsky> what are next steps with single-file worker?
17:19:01 <rutsky> there is option to try to do single-file master
17:19:30 <rutsky> there is option to try to integrate generation of buildbot-worker binaries for Linux/MacOS/Windows using Travis+Appveyor
17:19:55 <djmitche> I think worker's probably more useful to users
17:20:09 <rutsky> what is priority in your opinion?
17:20:09 <tardyp> I think appveyor makes more sense.
17:20:20 <rutsky> djmitche: agree
17:20:47 <djmitche> #agreed direction for this work is to support generation of binaries via travis/appveyor
17:20:53 <djmitche> #topic slave/worker renaming
17:21:02 <djmitche> not to rush us :)
17:21:15 <djmitche> this is pretty much just bits and pieces now, right?
17:21:18 <rutsky> this PR remains regarding 2340: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot-infra/pull/168
17:21:28 <rutsky> all required work I think is done
17:21:58 <rutsky> there are some optional goals in 2340 ticket which are not very useful time spending right now (and they are optional)
17:22:13 <rutsky> some pages on wiki that unmaintaned are probably obsolete - they should be either left as is or removed (e.g. http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/BuildSlave)
17:23:04 <djmitche> right
17:23:07 <djmitche> I'm happy to leave those as-is
17:23:12 <djmitche> deleting from a wiki is hard :)
17:23:40 <rutsky> deleting --- I think no, renaming --- this is a challenge :)
17:23:55 <rutsky> deletion of page works (AFAIK)
17:23:58 <dol-sen> just tag them as obsolete at the top
17:24:03 <djmitche> yeah
17:24:11 <djmitche> if anything
17:24:18 <djmitche> I think it's *really* unusual for a user to stumble over that stuff
17:24:22 <djmitche> and when trac2gh is done, even less likely
17:24:30 <djmitche> so I'm really not concerned
17:24:42 <rutsky> maybe delete few? Like this one: http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/BuildSlaves
17:24:48 <rutsky> or this one: http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/BuildSlave
17:25:09 <rutsky> info on them is duplicated (and covered in much more details) in official docs
17:25:28 <djmitche> +1
17:26:01 <rutsky> I will remove pages info on which is duplicated in official docs (or move info from them to docs and remove them)
17:26:08 <rutsky> not very aggressively :)
17:26:15 <djmitche> sounds good
17:26:27 <djmitche> ok, lastly..
17:26:29 <djmitche> #topic     Lock upstream deps and update them with pyup.io (again)
17:26:55 <rutsky> if there are opinions on that I think they should be expressed in the ticket:     http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3661
17:26:55 <djmitche> #info this now supports multiple python packages per git repo
17:27:01 <djmitche> but it sounds like it still requires requirements.txt?
17:27:19 <djmitche> #link http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3661
17:27:28 <rutsky> my goal was to state problem with current latest releases and potential approach to fix it
17:27:52 <rutsky> djmitche: yes, but it treats requirements.txt just as regular file with some deps --- no need to place all deps there
17:28:29 <djmitche> ah, ok
17:28:36 <rutsky> I don't see easy way to use requirements.txt/pyup in Buildbot CI pipeline, so I suggest not to do so for now
17:28:44 <djmitche> right
17:28:47 <rutsky> but if anyone have something to add --- feel free to do so
17:29:04 <djmitche> but it might be possible to generate and check in a requirements.txt (pip list) and verify that when running tets
17:29:12 <djmitche> ok
17:29:17 <tardyp> we would need to read the requirement.xxx.txt in setup.py
17:29:19 <djmitche> #info ticket is open for comment :)
17:29:30 <djmitche> ok, anything else?
17:29:44 <rutsky> djmitche: no, requirements.txt need to be commited in source repo for pyup
17:30:05 <djmitche> yeah, maybe I don't understand :)
17:30:09 <djmitche> it's OK, I don't have to :)
17:30:23 <rutsky> so in general idea is good IMO, but not applicable to Buildbot CI pipeline currently
17:30:38 <djmitche> sounds right
17:31:13 <djmitche> ok, I'll wrap up unless there are last-minute comments :)
17:31:32 <djmitche> #endmeeting