17:01:46 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
17:01:46 <bb-supy> Meeting started Tue Feb 14 17:01:46 2017 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:01:46 <bb-supy> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
17:01:46 <bb-supy> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
17:01:57 <djmitche> #topic Introductions
17:02:02 <djmitche> https://titanpad.com/buildbot-agenda
17:02:17 <djmitche> #nick tardyp
17:02:21 <djmitche> who else is in attendance?
17:02:28 <rutsky> hi!
17:02:40 * sa2ajj_ waves
17:04:33 <djmitche> yay!
17:04:54 <djmitche> #topic     Development week-in-review (PRs, bugs, etc.) (see weekly email)
17:05:15 <djmitche> nice to see the summary came out on time this week
17:05:31 <tardyp> last week it came out on saturday
17:05:39 <tardyp> as well as your meeting summary
17:05:39 <djmitche> #info PR's show LOTS of Python 3 work!
17:05:48 <bdbaddog> Here.
17:05:57 <djmitche> tardyp: that's interesting, since one is sent from the BB infra, and one from gmail
17:06:01 * djmitche waves
17:06:03 <tardyp> indeed lots of py3 work. a bit of secret work as well
17:06:16 <djmitche> but we won't talk about that ;)
17:06:34 <rutsky> secret work? :)
17:07:05 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/2660
17:07:12 * sa2ajj . o O (a secret is what you tell one person ... at a time)
17:07:16 <djmitche> haha
17:07:16 <tardyp> I merged the first implementation for that design
17:07:30 <sa2ajj> oh, that's great
17:07:38 <tardyp> the first part I mean
17:07:42 <sa2ajj> i never managed to get back to my PR :/
17:08:12 <djmitche> #info Work merged to support secure storage of secrets and transmission to workers
17:08:20 <tardyp> Remy finally manage to get back working on it
17:08:28 <djmitche> nice!
17:08:32 <djmitche> let's talk releases :)
17:08:35 <djmitche> #topic Releases
17:09:16 <sa2ajj> 0.8.x will not be in news until some time march
17:09:36 <tardyp> nothing from me. dol-sen did some fixes to help the distro packaging
17:09:37 <sa2ajj> (just repeating the message i gave last time)
17:09:48 <tardyp> ewongbb: candidated to help on eight
17:09:56 <tardyp> he was asking for more info on what to do.
17:09:58 <djmitche> oh, somehow I thought 0.9.5 was out
17:10:02 <skelly> 0.9.4 is
17:10:03 <djmitche> must have dreamed that
17:10:13 <tardyp> 0.9.5 is for march
17:10:35 <djmitche> oh, yes
17:10:42 <djmitche> I didn't dream it, I just had the number wrong :)
17:11:08 <djmitche> #info 0.9.4 released last week
17:11:36 <djmitche> #info 0.8.x updates might be out in March
17:11:43 <djmitche> sa2ajj: do you want to work with ewongbb?
17:12:05 <sa2ajj> of course: the goal is to get the release out, not to get a release by me :)
17:12:26 <sa2ajj> ewongbb: i'll probably hang on the channel the whole day on friday (or *almost* the whole day)
17:12:26 <djmitche> :)
17:13:04 <djmitche> cool!
17:13:21 <djmitche> #topic     Trac -> Github / http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/3623
17:13:28 <djmitche> #info No updates since last week
17:13:29 <sa2ajj> ewongbb: my day will start roughly 10 HKI time (i think it's 8 GMT)
17:13:52 <djmitche> ++ for remembering ewongbb's timezone :)
17:13:54 <sa2ajj> djmitche: i'll review the ticket today and update the todo list
17:13:59 <djmitche> cool!
17:14:02 * djmitche says that too much
17:14:27 <djmitche> #topic     Give all botherders access to Buildbot Google Analytics account
17:14:48 <djmitche> This seems reasonable to me.. not sure how to do it :)
17:15:05 <rutsky> djmitche: you shared some access with my account
17:15:20 <rutsky> but I don't have any administration abilities there
17:15:29 <djmitche> ok
17:15:33 <rutsky> maybe you can somehow give admin access to other botherders?
17:15:34 <djmitche> I'll see if I can figure it out
17:15:37 <djmitche> yeah
17:15:39 <sa2ajj> any particular reason to look at the analytics?
17:16:03 * sa2ajj is probably missing some background...
17:16:15 <tardyp> well we have google-analitics in all of our web pages
17:16:25 <rutsky> in theory analytics is a good metric for project promotion status
17:16:29 <tardyp> so I think it can be useful to sometimes look at them
17:16:40 <tardyp> and see what people are looking at
17:16:54 <rutsky> i.e. we can compare how many people look at 0.8 docs pages, and how many on 0.9
17:17:08 <sa2ajj> those are good points
17:17:12 <rutsky> or we can see where people comes from
17:17:43 <rutsky> also I think analytics may also relate to visibility of Buildbot in Google search engine (thought not sure about that)
17:17:55 <djmitche> tardyp: you should already have access
17:18:14 <tardyp> for example my blog post at medium.com with the 0.9.4 release notes got a mere 50 views \o/
17:18:33 <tardyp> probably we can improve at spreading the world then
17:18:58 <tardyp> djmitche: then I did to understand how to access them
17:19:10 <djmitche> whoops, I think I just removed permissions
17:19:24 <djmitche> #action djmitche to ensure all botherders have access
17:19:46 <djmitche> #topic Distribute single-file Buildbot-worker using something like pyinstaller
17:20:10 <rutsky> e2e testing is almost ready: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/2136
17:20:33 <rutsky> need to fix why it's failing on Windows and some Twisted versions :)
17:20:36 <tardyp> rutsky: there are a bunch of review comments not addressed last time I looked
17:20:53 <rutsky> tardyp: they should be addressed
17:21:01 <tardyp> good
17:21:29 <djmitche> #info more work this week, e2e testing almost ready
17:21:33 <rutsky> well, two empty lines not removed indeed... :)
17:21:48 <djmitche> haha
17:21:55 <rutsky> I will ask for another review when PR will pass all tests
17:21:59 <djmitche> ++
17:22:13 <tardyp> rutsky: I agree, you should close and restart
17:22:19 <rutsky> hopefully I will provide more info about why and some things are done
17:22:19 <tardyp> its too low in the review bucket
17:22:36 <rutsky> tardyp: will do
17:22:47 <djmitche> #topic     contrib: should we really maintain contrib/github_buildbot?
17:22:49 <djmitche> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/2744
17:23:53 <djmitche> github_buildbot is the thing that runs with both a mercurial runtime and a twisted runtime, right?
17:23:57 <sa2ajj> the last time i checked the script was useful for a particular setup
17:24:35 <sa2ajj> i do not see mentions of mercurial runtime...
17:24:40 <tardyp> the thing is you can achieve the same thing with  nginx reverse proxying to buildbot hook
17:24:51 <tardyp> there are no unit tests on this scripts
17:24:58 <tardyp> and there are more features
17:25:13 <tardyp> which do not help the hooks to gain feature that people need
17:25:18 <djmitche> yeah
17:25:25 <sa2ajj> true
17:25:31 <djmitche> otoh, I feel like if it's in contrib, we can let people contrib-ute to it
17:25:45 <djmitche> perhaps we could suggest breaking it out into a different project?
17:26:01 <tardyp> that was my first though, and I merged the first PR last week
17:26:02 <sa2ajj> discoverability will be not as high
17:26:02 <djmitche> "hi, thanks for making a PR against this script -- instead, please fork the script and maintain it"
17:26:12 <djmitche> sa2ajj: that's probably good :)
17:26:25 <clever> 14buildbot.process.remotecommand.RemoteException: subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'TASKKILL /PID 3744 /T' returned non-zero exit status 128
17:26:32 <bdbaddog> maybe a seprate buildbot contrib repo?
17:26:43 <clever> trying to switch my project from private ssh to github hosted now, and its failing with this error
17:26:46 <bdbaddog> so there's still a central place to look, rather than some random persons github?
17:26:47 * sa2ajj likes the idea
17:27:03 * djmitche too
17:27:07 <clever> what should i check next to get more info on debugging this above problem?
17:27:10 <bdbaddog> We did that with SCons project for same reason.
17:27:14 * rutsky too
17:27:15 <tardyp> clever: we are in the middle of meeting now
17:27:22 <tardyp> clever: please ask your question later
17:27:23 <clever> ah
17:27:25 <sa2ajj> and access rights can be managed separately: so active contributors can review other contributions
17:27:26 <clever> i can wait
17:27:29 <djmitche> thanks clever
17:27:50 <djmitche> should we count that as #agreed?
17:28:05 * sa2ajj thinks so
17:28:14 <sa2ajj> otoh, any objections?
17:28:25 <bdbaddog> agreed to separate but still buildbot repo for contrib?
17:28:30 <djmitche> yes
17:28:31 * rutsky agrees
17:28:33 <bdbaddog> +1
17:28:37 <tardyp> I'm not sure
17:28:40 <djmitche> #agreed Let's move contrib/ to a buildbot/buildbot-contrib repository
17:28:43 <djmitche> oh :)
17:28:45 <djmitche> #undo
17:28:45 <bb-supy> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Agreed object at 0x8068e77d0>
17:29:08 <tardyp> The thing is this particular contrib project is not very good design imho
17:29:24 <sa2ajj> tardyp: what are your concerns?
17:29:27 <sa2ajj> (oops)
17:29:55 <tardyp> it replicate features that buildbot already has (change filtering, and hook)
17:30:41 <rutsky> side note: some contrib scripts are documented in Buildbot docs, so reference on the will still be in main repo
17:30:44 <tardyp> it actually predates the hook, as far as I know
17:30:46 <bdbaddog> I'd posit that a contrib repo has to pass 2 bars: 1) it works as described and doesn't do any harm. 2) it doesn't pose an undocumented security risk.  (With a reasonable measure of uncertainty allowed so the burdon of review is not too high)
17:30:49 <sa2ajj> i *think* that we'd need to provide a guide on how to setup things before killing it.
17:31:11 <tardyp> sa2ajj: I agree, indeed
17:31:32 <tardyp> and I am currently working on the problem actually. to setup a github buildbot behind firewall
17:31:50 <tardyp> I am using ngrok + nginx, and it works very well
17:32:01 <djmitche> should we table this until next week?
17:32:09 <djmitche> we're over time
17:32:19 <tardyp> maybe. I would have liked the contributors to join
17:32:23 <tardyp> but they didn't
17:32:34 <sa2ajj> let's return to this next week
17:32:40 <sa2ajj> (keep it in the agenda)
17:32:46 <tardyp> but I think its okay to move contrib to buildbot-contrib
17:32:57 <tardyp> and we can decide wethere to remove that one later
17:33:00 <djmitche> ok
17:33:04 <djmitche> tardyp: maybe ask in the PR?
17:33:28 <tardyp> yes, I will summarize this in the PR, and ask them if they are fine with it
17:33:36 <djmitche> cool
17:33:42 <bdbaddog> Do you have a couple minutes re MOSS interview. They want to schedule for next week.
17:33:53 <djmitche> #info considering moving to contrib/ to a buildbot/buildbot-contrib repository
17:34:01 <rutsky> bdbaddog: what is MOSS interview? :)
17:34:02 <djmitche> #info tardyp will check with contributors to see how the feel with it
17:34:14 <djmitche> bdbaddog: I have some time, I think pierre has to go
17:34:22 <djmitche> #topic MOSS Interview
17:34:22 <bdbaddog> "We are hoping to do some short conversational video interviews with
17:34:23 <bdbaddog> awardees that we can use for further promotion of the MOSS program.
17:34:23 <bdbaddog> Would you be available at some point over the coming weeks to show a
17:34:23 <bdbaddog> demo of your work to Mozilla's Head of Policy, Chris Riley?"
17:34:59 <bdbaddog> They originally pinged me last october, and then revisited me a week ago.  Just wanted to see if there were any talking points for such?
17:35:15 <djmitche> maybe the medium post?
17:35:27 <djmitche> https://medium.com/buildbot/improving-our-terminology-20646bbff46a#.r2fh9az8r
17:36:48 <rutsky> well, I'm open even for video interview, but I'm shy unshaved geek and pretty sure that no good at interviewing :)
17:37:08 <djmitche> haha
17:37:10 <rutsky> also I don't quite understand what to discuss during such interview...
17:37:14 <bdbaddog> They were asking for someone from the project to come to SF office, since I'm near.
17:37:22 <sa2ajj> tardyp: btw, nice post on 0.9.4 release
17:37:38 <rutsky> oh, then this is not definitely me :)
17:37:45 <bdbaddog> :D
17:38:16 <tardyp> sa2ajj: thanks. I am just a bit disappointed on the number of views
17:38:18 <bdbaddog> O.k. I'll let them know the dates work and see if they confirm. Then send out a few bullets I'll plan on talking about when I go in to the mailing list.
17:38:36 <djmitche> bdbaddog: sounds good to me
17:38:56 <sa2ajj> tardyp: one idea -- add a link from buildbot.net or, if it's at all possible, show the latest article there.
17:39:30 <tardyp> indeed, we certainly should link blog from buildbot.net
17:40:07 <djmitche> should we wrap up, then?
17:40:31 <rutsky> nothing more from my side
17:40:48 <djmitche> #endmeeting