16:01:23 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:01:23 <bb-supy> Meeting started Tue Apr 18 16:01:23 2017 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:01:23 <bb-supy> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:01:23 <bb-supy> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:01:25 * djmitche waves
16:01:33 <tardyp> hello!
16:01:40 <djmitche> #topci introductions
16:02:01 <djmitche> #topic introductions
16:02:04 <djmitche> https://titanpad.com/buildbot-agenda
16:02:07 <djmitche> y kant dustin tipe
16:02:42 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
16:02:44 <djmitche> what's new?
16:02:49 * djmitche wonders who else is around
16:02:53 <skelly> virtual builders
16:02:57 <bdbaddog> I'm here.
16:03:04 <djmitche> oh, yeah, please do tell regarding virtual builders
16:03:06 * djmitche waves
16:03:15 <rjarry> cuckoo I'm here too :)
16:03:17 <tardyp> virtual builders is the thing of the week. We discussed a bit about it last wee.
16:03:43 <tardyp> looks like the feedback was positive
16:03:53 <tardyp> allowed me to make up new console view http://nine.buildbot.net/#/console
16:04:23 <tardyp> noc0lour also used it for its https://ci.gnuradio.org/buildbot/#/console
16:05:12 <tardyp> and soon rjarry will be running yocto ci with it ;-)
16:05:18 <rjarry> lol
16:05:23 <djmitche> cool!
16:05:29 <djmitche> #info virtual builders are here
16:05:42 <rjarry> I'm not afiliated with yocto ci btw
16:05:52 <tardyp> ah!
16:05:56 <rjarry> I was just providing an example :D
16:06:49 <tardyp> apart from that, the usual bug fixes went through
16:06:59 <tardyp> I need to start thinking release
16:07:12 <djmitche> sounds like it :)
16:07:22 <djmitche> #topic Releases
16:07:27 <tardyp> I think once I get waterfall patch merged I will do that release
16:07:27 <djmitche> #topic Releases
16:07:35 <djmitche> waterfall?
16:07:39 <rjarry> tardyp: do you think tconsole could go in 0.9.6 ?
16:08:10 <tardyp> rjarry: I dont think so. I already delayed it
16:08:16 <rjarry> ok
16:08:44 <tardyp> lets see how this version get traction, and we can add some additional features.
16:08:51 <rjarry> yup
16:08:52 <djmitche> there's always 0.9.7 :)
16:09:05 <tardyp> and after that 0.9.8
16:09:11 <djmitche> :)
16:09:13 <rjarry> sky is the limit
16:09:36 <djmitche> #info 0.9.6 is coming soon, once the waterfall patch is merged
16:09:48 <djmitche> any other news?
16:09:51 <tardyp> then there will be the discussion of 0.9.9++ == 0.10.0 or 0.9.10
16:09:58 <djmitche> yeah
16:10:02 <djmitche> or, when do we call it 1.0.0?
16:10:07 <rjarry> hehe
16:10:09 <djmitche> and start semver
16:10:13 <tardyp> we are not really following semver for those releases, and are rather releasing once a month
16:10:18 <skelly> I think once we close all/most eight regression bugs
16:10:25 <bdbaddog> +1 for 1.0.0
16:10:43 <bdbaddog> beleive it or not  a version < 1.0.0 can make it harder to convince cliets to deploy any software..
16:10:49 <djmitche> yeah
16:10:50 <skelly> and, that assumes the REST API is good
16:10:58 <djmitche> also <1.0.0 is a free-for-all semantically
16:11:15 <skelly> mostly
16:11:25 <tardyp> I am okay for 1.0.0 as well
16:11:27 <skelly> should bump the middle digit if you break backcompat, but that's it
16:11:32 <djmitche> in general I'd say once the "nine" stuff is stable, and regressions are fixed, it's time to think of 1.0.0
16:11:32 <bdbaddog> General perception is not ready for production amongst Pointy Haired Bosses..
16:12:17 <rjarry> bdbaddog: you can trick them in believing that nine is actually version 9.x :D
16:12:25 <djmitche> like 6 years ago we had teh "one-oh" conversation :)
16:12:47 <tardyp> yes, and that was about having a stable internal API.
16:12:54 <tardyp> which we are not quite there I think
16:13:07 <bdbaddog> I had this discussion with Scons many years ago.. finally went to 1.0.0.. the sky didn't fall.. :)
16:13:20 <tardyp> but I am not sure we really need to go there
16:13:30 <tardyp> yes
16:13:41 <djmitche> I think we're way *more* stable
16:13:41 <tardyp> we don't need to have perfect 1.0 API
16:13:44 <djmitche> right
16:13:57 <djmitche> it just needs to be to the point where every release won't be a breaking release :)
16:14:13 <tardyp> I submitted to eupython this year. maybe this could be a great target for a one-oh annoucement
16:14:21 <djmitche> when is it?
16:14:28 <tardyp> beg july
16:14:42 <djmitche> that's soon :)
16:14:57 <djmitche> #info discussion of what "1.0.0" would mean
16:15:11 <djmitche> #info considering releasing 1.0.0 at EUPyCon (early July)
16:15:33 <djmitche> it sounds like a good idea to me
16:15:50 <tardyp> do you guys have in mind big eight regression that need to happen before 1.0?
16:16:00 <tardyp> loghorizon is for me one
16:16:13 <djmitche> skelly: ^^?
16:16:47 <tardyp> I was looking this afternoon at build status_strings
16:17:27 <skelly> one sec
16:17:37 <tardyp> all build have status string "finished" in the end, it should be some equivalent to what was in eight (the list of descriptionDone of failed steps)
16:18:20 <skelly> thinking the console and grid views
16:18:39 <skelly> console is done now, so grid is left
16:18:44 <djmitche> #info considering 1.0.0 blockers:
16:18:56 <djmitche> #info logHorizon (when to delete logs)
16:19:10 <djmitche> #info build status_strings -- they are always "finished" at the end but should be more descriptive
16:19:16 <djmitche> #info grid view
16:20:12 <tardyp> I added some feature to console so that it behaves a bit like grid
16:20:20 <tardyp> so it could actually replace grid
16:20:37 <tardyp> but we would need the tconsole in this case
16:21:35 <djmitche> #info transposed grid (tconsole?)
16:21:53 <djmitche> #info please bring up any other ideas on the devel mailing list
16:21:55 <skelly> transposed grid roughly equals console now
16:21:58 <rjarry-phone> tardyp: am I mistaken or is console laid out like tgrid and tconsole like grid ?
16:22:00 <tardyp> actually console is like tgrid, and tconsole would be like grid
16:22:08 <djmitche> hah
16:22:12 <rjarry-phone> lol snap
16:22:51 <rjarry-phone> should console be renamed to tconsole then?
16:23:34 <rjarry-phone> or to tgrid for that matter, so that we keep the old name
16:23:59 <tardyp> I think we could just call tconsole grid
16:24:09 <tardyp> and drop tgrid
16:24:14 <rjarry-phone> +1
16:24:17 <djmitche> +1
16:24:33 <djmitche> anything to discuss for trac -> github or pyinstaller?
16:24:43 <tardyp> not really
16:25:00 * tardyp like this 1.0 discussion :)
16:25:27 <tardyp> but we can close this for today I think.
16:26:48 <djmitche> ok
16:26:56 <djmitche> good convo though,  ++
16:26:59 <djmitche> #endmeeting