16:01:00 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:01:00 <bb-supy> Meeting started Tue Oct 17 16:01:00 2017 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:01:00 <bb-supy> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:01:00 <bb-supy> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:01:09 <djmitche> thanks for the ping I was distracted by other convos
16:01:17 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
16:01:22 <djmitche> http://bit.ly/2rup31x
16:01:29 <tardyp> heya
16:01:39 <djmitche> we'll try to be done in a half-hour
16:01:43 <djmitche> anyone else around?
16:01:52 <frodox> yup o/
16:01:55 <djmitche> hi!
16:02:10 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
16:02:25 <tardyp> I haven't received the email..
16:02:36 <djmitche> hm, neither have I
16:02:39 <djmitche> why is technology so hrad?
16:02:48 <djmitche> oh, no, I got it and deleted it haha
16:02:56 <rjarry> hi meeting mates
16:03:35 <djmitche> "BuilderStatus is bitrotten & broken" --?
16:03:39 <tardyp> it is there though https://lists.buildbot.net/pipermail/devel/attachments/20171017/47e26bb9/attachment.html
16:04:22 <tardyp> So this week I had to release a grid view fix since it has been broken for two release :(
16:04:42 <djmitche> aww :(
16:04:55 <rjarry> sorry I did not notice it earlier
16:04:58 <djmitche> #info fixed grid view that was broken in 0.9.11 and 0.9.12
16:05:05 <tardyp> we got a few PR  with long awaited  improvement for the console view
16:05:08 * djmitche waves belatedly to rjarry
16:05:20 <tardyp> belatedly
16:05:21 <djmitche> #info long-awaited improvements to the console view
16:05:41 <rjarry> belatedly: that's fancy english
16:05:42 <djmitche> isn't English "fun"? :)
16:05:53 <rjarry> indeed
16:05:55 <tardyp> thanks you for improbing our english  :)
16:06:09 <rjarry> improbing, another new word
16:06:17 * rjarry learns so much today
16:06:39 <tardyp> its improving, but pronounced by spanish guy
16:06:45 <tardyp> which I am not
16:06:50 <tardyp> anyways
16:06:51 <rjarry> lol
16:06:57 <djmitche> haha
16:07:31 <tardyp> we also have a regression apparently with utf8 parsing in the worker :-/
16:07:35 <frodox> :D
16:07:46 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/issues/3702
16:07:54 <djmitche> ugh
16:08:44 <djmitche> #info utf8 parsing issues in the worker new in 0.9.12 (#3702)
16:08:53 <tardyp> I though we could skip the fancy schemes to parse buffers which cuts half through a character, but it looks like we cannot
16:09:04 <rjarry> tough one to fix :)
16:09:27 <rjarry> tardyp: does this mean decoding to unicode before splitting buffers ?
16:09:34 <tardyp> not difficult, you just have to buffer a little bit more.
16:09:51 <djmitche> it's a good interview question
16:09:56 <tardyp> if we catch an exception (or a little bit less)
16:10:00 <rjarry> yeah but to be sure not to split in the middle of a multibyte char
16:10:02 <djmitche> there's no 0.9.13 planned for the console fix, right?
16:10:18 <skelly> 
16:10:22 <tardyp> I released a post1 for the grid view fix
16:10:28 <djmitche> ah, ok
16:10:31 <djmitche> #info grid fix is in 0.9.12p1
16:10:40 <tardyp> 0.9.12post1
16:10:55 <tardyp> p1 is not pepXX compatible
16:11:02 <djmitche> other updates for the week?
16:11:02 <djmitche> #undo
16:11:02 <bb-supy> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Info object at 0x806a50290>
16:11:02 <djmitche> #info grid fix is in 0.9.12post1
16:11:25 <tardyp> nope
16:11:50 <djmitche> #topic Maintainer in README
16:11:58 <djmitche> I noticed looking at the README I'm still listed as maintainer
16:12:05 <djmitche> OK if I make a PR to change that to botherders?
16:12:26 <tardyp> right or you can put myself if we need a person
16:12:35 <rjarry> what is botherders ?
16:12:36 <tardyp> either is fine to me
16:12:41 <rjarry> s/what/who/
16:13:20 <tardyp> it is the group of people who have the ownership of buildbot for the SFC project
16:13:33 <djmitche> https://github.com/buildbot/botherders
16:13:41 <djmitche> ok, I think it's fine to put the group
16:13:47 <skelly> I think better to use the group
16:13:50 <djmitche> #agreed will change README to say Botherders are the maintainer, not dustin
16:13:51 <rjarry> oh ok :)
16:13:57 <djmitche> cool
16:14:04 <djmitche> #topic Expert Twisted - Book Chapter
16:14:06 <tardyp> I think we should talk about Buildbot Oversight Committee
16:14:13 <tardyp> aka the botherders
16:14:17 <djmitche> #undo
16:14:17 <bb-supy> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Topic object at 0x806a50b10>
16:14:23 <djmitche> #topic Buildbot Oversight Committee / Botherders
16:14:25 <tardyp> rather than the other way around
16:14:25 <djmitche> go! :)
16:14:41 <tardyp> n
16:14:45 <djmitche> oh, just refer to it differently?
16:14:50 <tardyp> yeah
16:14:57 <tardyp> in the readme
16:15:02 <djmitche> we could add an "AKA" in the botherders repo too
16:15:02 <djmitche> ok
16:15:03 <rjarry> that's more explicit, indeed
16:15:11 <tardyp> readme is for people who don't know about the botherders
16:15:15 <djmitche> #info "Buildbot Oversight Committee" is more descriptive, so let's name it that
16:15:18 <djmitche> I was going to add a link, too
16:15:21 <djmitche> but, sounds good
16:16:02 <tardyp> probably there are other places in the code which refers to you as the maintainer.
16:16:31 <djmitche> I'll poke around
16:16:55 <djmitche> #topic Expert Twisted - Book Chapter
16:17:07 <djmitche> I made a new PR this weekend with a bit more writing
16:17:30 <tardyp> ah I am totally behind on this I apologies
16:17:45 <djmitche> https://github.com/buildbot/expert-twisted/pull/2
16:17:47 <djmitche> it's OK
16:17:54 <djmitche> I *think* I'm done with the bits I said i'd write
16:18:06 <tardyp> of you did it there! good
16:18:11 <tardyp> cool!
16:18:36 <rjarry> djmitche: you URL returns a 404
16:18:38 <tardyp> I am in vacations next week for two weeks. I really need to go for it there (or I will never do it)
16:18:41 <rjarry> your*
16:18:55 <tardyp> rjarry: it is because you are not in the group
16:19:00 <djmitche> this URL https://github.com/buildbot/expert-twisted/pull/2 ?
16:19:01 <rjarry> ok :)
16:19:04 <rjarry> yes
16:19:09 <djmitche> oh, sorry, yes, it's a private repo
16:19:11 <tardyp> I propose to add rjarry as buildbot commiter
16:19:14 <djmitche> not our idea :(
16:19:19 <djmitche> if you want rjarry
16:19:21 <djmitche> just need your github name
16:19:49 * rjarry feels honored
16:20:05 <frodox> djmitche: should you close prev PR then?
16:20:06 <djmitche> it's almost literally the least I can do ;)
16:20:11 <djmitche> I did
16:20:23 <rjarry> I am rjarry on github too
16:20:26 <djmitche> ok
16:20:53 <frodox> ah, see now
16:21:11 <djmitche> invited
16:21:14 <frodox> reading it during last days
16:21:23 <rjarry> thanks djmitche !
16:21:25 <djmitche> yeah, there's still time for comments :)
16:21:33 <frodox> hmm, you merged it
16:21:38 <djmitche> sorry :(
16:21:41 <frodox> should you rebase then?
16:21:45 <frodox> 2
16:22:08 <tardyp> rjarry: you are now part of buildbot commiter team. You deserve it. please use it wisely
16:22:13 <djmitche> done
16:22:22 <rjarry> thanks guys, I will
16:22:27 <djmitche> just expert-twisted-authors actually :)
16:22:30 <frodox> rjarry: congrats!
16:22:49 <djmitche> at least, that's all I added you to
16:23:00 <tardyp> I did add him to committer
16:23:12 <djmitche> so tardyp I think once we get the rest of the sections filled in we can start editing in earnest
16:23:22 <djmitche> I'm sure most of what I've written will get cut :)
16:23:33 <djmitche> but we can look at the whole and figure out what's "interesting" and expand that while cutting the rest
16:23:37 <tardyp> will get cut?
16:23:40 <djmitche> gotcha, then welcome rjarry
16:23:50 <rjarry> I have to go get my kid, I'll read what I missed later, have a good one all
16:23:51 <rjarry> :)
16:23:52 <djmitche> I think a lot of what i've written is not that interesting
16:23:58 <djmitche> thanks rjarry
16:24:21 <frodox> djmitche: what is criteria of 'interesting' then? :)
16:24:33 <djmitche> I'm not sure - we'll figure that out when we've got all of the material together
16:24:40 <djmitche> and maybe by asking moshe, warner, etc.
16:24:40 <tardyp> right.
16:25:38 <djmitche> ok, any other business?
16:25:41 <tardyp> yep
16:25:55 <tardyp> SSL protocol
16:26:12 <tardyp> nbjoerg needs it, and wanted to finish the work
16:26:41 <tardyp> he is questionning the real need of supporting older twisted, and I agree that this might be the reason why that PR did stall
16:27:01 <djmitche> #topic SSL Support
16:27:04 <djmitche> PB over SSL, you mean?
16:27:08 <tardyp> I was suggesting to drop that support, as I think TLS is more important
16:27:09 <tardyp> yp
16:27:16 <djmitche> agree
16:27:19 <djmitche> especially with KRACKED
16:27:22 <tardyp> SSL? it does not exist anymore !
16:27:28 <tardyp> TLSv2
16:27:45 <djmitche> if you're not using TLSv2, you're public
16:27:47 <djmitche> agreed
16:28:04 <tardyp> skelly: ?
16:28:05 <djmitche> so drop SSL support, or drop support for old Twisted?
16:28:17 <tardyp> we don't have any crypto support
16:28:20 <tardyp> over pb
16:28:50 <djmitche> https://www.krackattacks.com/ btw
16:28:52 <djmitche> ah ,ok
16:29:01 <djmitche> I also think
16:29:03 <djmitche> it's 2017
16:29:07 <djmitche> it's Python
16:29:09 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/2387
16:29:10 <djmitche> use the latest Twisted
16:29:17 <djmitche> there's no excuse for using old software anymore
16:29:55 <tardyp> we asked gracinet at that time to try and support older twisted at worker side
16:30:11 <tardyp> but if ppl are into updating buildbot-worker, I think they can also update twisted
16:32:01 <djmitche> agreed
16:32:02 <djmitche> #info looking to revive #2387 but with support for TLSv2
16:32:02 <djmitche> #info even if that requires dropping support for older Twisteds
16:32:04 <tardyp> #agreed drop older version of twisted for the sake of supporting tls more easily
16:32:19 <djmitche> k, I need to run -- should I end the meeting?
16:32:23 <djmitche> or make you chair? :)
16:32:31 <tardyp> yep. we are out of time anyway
16:32:33 <tardyp> thanks!
16:32:35 <djmitche> #endmeeting