17:04:06 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
17:04:06 <bb-supy`> Meeting started Tue Dec 12 17:04:06 2017 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:04:06 <bb-supy`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
17:04:06 <bb-supy`> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
17:04:14 <bdbaddog> :D
17:04:35 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
17:04:37 <tardyp> hi
17:04:39 <djmitche> http://bit.ly/2rup31x
17:04:40 <djmitche> hi!
17:04:48 <rjarry> hello
17:04:57 * djmitche sitting in the plenary meeting at Mozilla all-hands
17:05:15 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
17:05:19 <djmitche> what's new?
17:05:39 <rjarry> 0.9.14 is out I guess
17:05:57 <djmitche> #info 0.9.14 is released!
17:06:06 <djmitche> what's the high-points?
17:06:21 <tardyp> lots of discussion about debian
17:06:49 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/issues/3809
17:07:12 <tardyp> also discussion about moving out from coffeescript.
17:07:26 <tardyp> I tried it a bit. That is not a simple task
17:07:46 <rjarry> tardyp: about debian, I made some progress with the guys on irc
17:07:53 <tardyp> at least moving out from guanlecoja will help debian packaging
17:07:55 <djmitche> #info Discussion about Debian (more later) and about switching away from Coffeescript
17:07:57 <rjarry> I'm still getting my head around this
17:08:26 <tardyp> apart from that, the 0.9.14 UI is not as good as I whished
17:08:38 <djmitche> why not?
17:08:39 <tardyp> there is a regression in the builders page, which is not displaying builds anymore
17:08:50 <djmitche> oh, that's not good
17:09:01 <djmitche> #info 0.9.14 has a UI regression (builders page doesn't show builds)
17:09:04 <tardyp> all other pages are working, but not that one
17:09:20 <tardyp> and also there are two "Workers" items in the menu
17:09:24 <djmitche> hmm
17:09:30 <tardyp> one for workers pages and the other for workers actions
17:09:34 <djmitche> so a 0.9.15 soonish?
17:10:02 <tardyp> I need to find time to fix them (or if somebody want to look at it..)
17:10:10 <djmitche> ok
17:10:14 <tardyp> people can still revert to 0.9.13 just for UI
17:10:16 <djmitche> links to issues for the minutes?
17:10:43 <rjarry> I'm not sure there are issues
17:10:44 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/issues/3818
17:11:09 <tardyp> and for the builders page there is no issue yet
17:11:13 <rjarry> tardyp: this one ? https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/issues/3811
17:11:23 <rjarry> or that's something else
17:11:33 <tardyp> no its different
17:11:47 <tardyp> it was reported by Appleman1234 yesterday on IRC
17:12:07 <rjarry> yeah I know, I thought maybe it is related
17:12:23 <tardyp> no, that one is a 0.9.14 specific issue
17:12:29 <rjarry> another user reported the same issue earlier today
17:12:37 <rjarry> <gpmfuchs> Hi I have a question. I upgraded from buildbot 0.9.4 to 0.9.14 . Now it does not show active builds in Builds/Builders. Is this intended/a bug/or a missconfiguration by my side?
17:12:50 <rjarry> <rjarry> gpmfuchs: that is a recent bug, we need to have a look at it
17:13:13 <djmitche> soundsl ike we should get an issue filed :)
17:13:19 <tardyp> right
17:13:21 <rjarry> i'll do that
17:13:23 <uglycoyote> tardyp:  in guanlecoja are "vendor scripts" the same as external dependencies?  And if so, how can i add a new external dependency?  It's not clear to me where those are specified? Can I configure one in the config.coffee of my plugin?
17:13:25 <tardyp> thx
17:13:28 <djmitche> thanks!
17:13:39 <tardyp> uglycoyote: yes
17:13:56 <djmitche> #topic New SVG Logo
17:14:42 <tardyp> No news this week. I had the action to email the list with current results, but could not find the time to write a proper message
17:14:52 <djmitche> ok
17:15:02 <djmitche> #info Evaluation ongoing, please check it out and speak up!
17:15:11 <djmitche> #topic SQLite foreign_key support
17:15:35 <uglycoyote> tardyp: in what section of the config.coffee does it belong?  I see some examples of other plugins configuring external dependencies via bower.  What happens if I have an external dependency that is not present in bower?
17:16:05 <rjarry> djmitche: I just wanted to have a quick question about sqlite fk
17:16:20 <djmitche> sure, what is it?
17:16:27 <tardyp> uglycoyote: guanlecoja will automatically populate the new deps, and concat it inside your scripts.js from your plugin
17:16:35 <rjarry> I noticed that a attempt to enable fk support was made, and disabled afterwards with a reference to a trac issue
17:16:52 <rjarry> the issue is to accessible anymore
17:17:01 <tardyp> verm did restart trac today
17:17:05 <tardyp> forgot to mention it
17:17:28 <rjarry> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/blob/master/master/buildbot/db/enginestrategy.py#L71
17:17:32 <djmitche> so it sounds like the question is, should we start using FK's in sqlite?
17:17:34 <rjarry> oh great
17:17:48 <rjarry> djmitche: I tried to enable it, but a lot of tests fail
17:18:02 <rjarry> so my question is: do we want to spend time on this ?
17:18:13 <rjarry> I personally dont use sqlite
17:18:24 <djmitche> has the lack of FK caused issues for SQLite users?
17:18:25 <rjarry> but tardyp told me that nine.bb.net uses it
17:18:36 <rjarry> not that I know of
17:19:06 <djmitche> it seems like it would have minor user benefit to add it, then
17:19:09 <tardyp> I think that is fine
17:19:20 <djmitche> fine to not add FK support?
17:19:27 <tardyp> for sqlite
17:19:29 <tardyp> yes
17:19:33 <djmitche> ok
17:19:35 <djmitche> rjarry: agree?
17:19:49 <rjarry> sqlite users will not benefit from this then: https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/3815
17:19:55 <rjarry> I don't mind
17:19:58 <tardyp> one issue, is that if we introduce cascade deletion, and create a janitor script, which uses this to cleanup builds
17:20:08 <tardyp> then on sqlite this script will not work
17:20:10 <djmitche> #agreed Foreign Key support for SQLite isn't an important feature to add
17:20:13 <djmitche> yeah
17:20:20 <djmitche> but "manually" cascading isn't hard
17:20:23 <tardyp> because it will just remove the builds, and not the cascaded refs
17:20:36 <uglycoyote> tardyp, so if I have an external dependency called foo.js, should I add that to the "deps" section in config.coffee+
17:20:42 <rjarry> djmitche: the db schema is getting complex
17:20:48 <tardyp> the whole point of adding the on cascade is to avoid the complexity of doing everything by hand
17:20:50 <rjarry> so it is not "hard", but tedious
17:20:51 <djmitche> hm, yeah
17:21:37 <tardyp> I think if people start to need janitor for builds, then they need to switch on bigger rdms
17:21:44 <djmitche> makes sense
17:21:47 <rjarry> yep
17:22:11 <djmitche> ok, time is tight so moving on
17:22:17 <djmitche> #topic Debian support
17:22:33 <rjarry> I made some progress
17:22:43 <djmitche> great!
17:22:52 <rjarry> I am now getting my head around debian way of packaging stuff
17:23:04 <rjarry> someone offered some help for JS stuff
17:23:10 <djmitche> oh, excellent!
17:23:15 <tardyp> on irc?
17:23:17 <rjarry> which is great since I'm not very fluent
17:23:42 <rjarry> no, on github
17:23:44 <rjarry> simevo
17:24:10 <djmitche> #info Some progress, and some help from @simevo for JS-related issues
17:24:43 <tardyp> for me the JS stuff will be quite hard. I hope that I am wrong
17:24:54 <tardyp> debian wants to package all build dependencies.
17:25:05 <tardyp> guanlecoja has 1500 build dependencies..
17:25:12 <djmitche> haha
17:25:14 <rjarry> T_T
17:25:38 <tardyp> it looks like webpack team has made lots of efforts to reduce their dependency hell
17:26:00 <dol-sen> I told myself, screw that... so just pkg the releases
17:26:03 <djmitche> #info Sticking point is around build dependencies for UI components - guanlecoja has 1500 dependenices!
17:26:15 <tardyp> So I think it will be hard to finish the debian package unless we move our build system to webpack
17:26:16 <rjarry> I have to run
17:26:20 <rjarry> I'll catch up later
17:26:23 <djmitche> ok
17:26:31 <djmitche> #topic Chapter Progress
17:26:34 <djmitche> I need to go soon too
17:26:50 <djmitche> So first, there are a few unfinished sections of the chapter.  Should we just cut them?
17:26:59 <djmitche> I think we have a lot of content already and will need to cut some
17:27:01 <djmitche> for space
17:27:03 <djmitche> for space
17:27:21 <tardyp> do we?
17:27:39 <djmitche> It feels pretty long to me already
17:27:41 <djmitche> It feels pretty long to me already
17:27:52 <tardyp> you didn't read the other chapters..
17:27:56 <djmitche> true
17:28:24 <djmitche> so that's my second question - should we try to get some feedback from moshe or warner or something on appropriateness to the book?
17:28:33 <tardyp> for the remaining sections, I agree, I didn't find much more interresting to say on those topic
17:28:40 <tardyp> some I'm fine with removing them
17:28:51 <djmitche> ok
17:28:56 <djmitche> so how about
17:28:58 <djmitche> remove those sections
17:29:02 <djmitche> ask moshe/warner for review
17:29:09 <djmitche> then submit to apress for review
17:29:17 <tardyp> I think, after we merge the review from ewong, we can start calling it done for apress review
17:29:33 <tardyp> or with moshe/warner first if you want
17:29:43 <djmitche> ok
17:30:13 <djmitche> #action djmitche will remove unfinished sections, merge review from ewong
17:30:21 <djmitche> #action djmitche will submit for review
17:30:28 <djmitche> any other businesss?
17:30:31 <tardyp> nope
17:30:36 <bdbaddog> Wrap up MOSS..
17:30:55 <djmitche> #topic Wrap up MOSS
17:30:56 <djmitche> sorry!
17:30:58 <djmitche> go!
17:30:59 <tardyp> can we discuss it next week?
17:31:05 <bdbaddog> Sure.
17:31:18 <tardyp> I need to run too.. :)
17:31:27 * djmitche too
17:31:29 <tardyp> ttyl!
17:31:32 <djmitche> adios
17:31:34 <djmitche> #endmeeting