16:54:39 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:54:39 <bb-supy`> Meeting started Tue Jan 16 16:54:39 2018 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:54:39 <bb-supy`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:54:39 <bb-supy`> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:54:42 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
16:54:48 <djmitche> http://bit.ly/2rup31x
16:55:07 <djmitche> #info Starting a bit early today, but we can go back if necessary
16:55:18 <djmitche> #nick rjarry tardyp
16:55:32 <rjarry> preset
16:55:33 <djmitche> #topic Week In Review
16:55:35 <rjarry> present*
16:55:38 * djmitche waves
16:55:41 <tardyp> hihi
16:56:07 <tardyp> ah, no summary for this week..
16:56:14 <tardyp> do you have one?
16:57:05 <djmitche> haha, no
16:57:24 <djmitche> we can skip :)
16:57:25 <tardyp> so nothing big this week. openbsd packages were updated (thanks gaston )
16:57:42 <djmitche> oh, I see what you mean
16:57:46 <tardyp> and we got new packages for gentoo thanks for dol-sen
16:58:15 <tardyp> I finally managed to merge the week dependency update
16:58:28 <dol-sen> I haven't finished committing them, but will shortly
16:58:29 <tardyp> we cannot build anymore with <1GB container ..
16:58:49 <tardyp> I had to use 1GB container for all the builds. before a few of them was 512MB
16:59:09 <tardyp> its because of the lz4 package which requires a bit more memory to compile (apparently)
16:59:36 <djmitche> https://lists.buildbot.net/pipermail/devel/attachments/20180116/3ba3ad0c/attachment.html :)
16:59:51 <tardyp> I also merged a big PR with more support for secrets
17:00:03 <djmitche> #info packaging / building updates
17:00:16 <tardyp> there is still a bit of work to do, but all the reporters now support to be configured via secrets
17:00:22 <djmitche> the lz4 python package?
17:00:25 <djmitche> awesome
17:00:37 <djmitche> #info all reporters now support configuration via secrets
17:00:49 <tardyp> yes, lz4 python package I think used to distribute wheels, and do not anymore
17:01:07 <djmitche> ah
17:01:16 <tardyp> I'll need to monitor the hyper costs to see if this goes beyond control
17:01:31 <djmitche> ok :)
17:01:50 <djmitche> anything else?
17:01:56 <tardyp> thats it
17:02:28 <dol-sen> when is 1.0 ETA?
17:02:41 <tardyp> beg of month I plan to release 1.0
17:02:42 <dol-sen> I need to get my slack reporter PR made
17:02:57 <rjarry> tardyp: you mentioned not requiring ramlfications anymore
17:02:59 <djmitche> #info 1.0.0 release targetted for the beginning of February (!!)
17:03:03 <djmitche> that's awesome
17:03:10 <djmitche> 12 years in the making!
17:03:12 <rjarry> that would help for debian packaging
17:03:27 <dol-sen> I should have time at work this week to prepare it... getting caught up with the new system deployments
17:03:41 <tardyp> rjarry: ramlfication, we would need to parse the yaml manually or change to openAPI
17:03:49 <tardyp> this is not something I can do for 1.0
17:03:59 <rjarry> that sounds a bit complex yes
17:04:15 <rjarry> for now, I managed to work around it by changing the docs source in a debian patch
17:04:17 <tardyp> not complex, just a bit long
17:04:29 <tardyp> the raml subset we use is not very difficult to parse in yaml directly
17:04:43 <rjarry> and simply include the raw raml spec in the rst as a yaml literalinclude
17:04:44 <tardyp> we eventually do no use a lot of ramlfication features
17:05:16 <djmitche> #info discussion of removing / limiting use of RAML as that would ease creation of debian packages
17:05:19 <tardyp> we parse it in order to generate the REST api doc
17:05:22 <djmitche> should we talk about debian packaging?
17:05:35 <tardyp> yes, that is debian pkg update
17:05:51 <tardyp> topic 3
17:06:00 <rjarry> also, there is sphinxcontrib-jinja which is not in debian either, and it is required because of raml
17:06:02 <tardyp> I don't know if we have news for topic 1 and 2
17:06:13 <tardyp> we should probably remove icon topic. I think its done
17:06:27 <tardyp> sphinxcontrib-jinja  is by me
17:06:38 <rjarry> I've seen this yes
17:06:40 <djmitche> #topic Debian Packaging
17:07:08 <tardyp> I think it is less work to just package ramlfication and sphinxcontrib-jinja
17:07:23 <rjarry> in debian ?
17:07:35 <tardyp> yes, should be pretty straighforward
17:07:48 <rjarry> ramlfications also has deps that are not in debian
17:07:50 <rjarry> T_T
17:08:04 <dol-sen> it was relatively easy for gentoo pacakging those 2
17:08:06 <djmitche> :(
17:08:08 <rjarry> you never know where it ends...
17:08:26 <djmitche> #info ramlfications and sphinxcontrib-jinja don't have debian packages (nor packages for their dependencies)
17:09:02 <rjarry> tardyp: since this is only needed for docs, maybe we could put it in plain rst directly
17:09:14 <rjarry> that would simplify
17:09:27 <rjarry> and since you said that eventually we will have to migrate to openapi
17:09:35 <rjarry> (aka swagger)
17:09:57 <tardyp> I really would like to avoid that. Having the REST api generated is very practical
17:10:41 <rjarry> hmm
17:10:45 <tardyp> and we verify the raml spec against the code, so this helps to keep doc and code in sync
17:10:53 <djmitche> is this something we could defer for the first round of debian packaging?
17:11:08 <rjarry> djmitche: with my current work around, yes
17:11:17 <rjarry> the debian docs will be ugly but the code will work
17:11:23 <tardyp> do we really need to generate the doc for the debian packages?
17:11:40 <rjarry> that is always better
17:11:45 <tardyp> can't we just put a link to official doc
17:11:52 <rjarry> yes we can
17:12:13 * rjarry notes to self: no deb doc for now
17:12:15 <djmitche> we could leave "better docs" as a TODO for the packaging :)
17:12:59 <rjarry> one question about debian
17:13:00 <tardyp> +1
17:13:11 <dol-sen> that makes sense, it took me several releases before I got the docs in Gentoo
17:13:18 <rjarry> is migration from eight straightforward ?
17:13:36 <dol-sen> yes, in my experience it was
17:13:37 <rjarry> or is there extra care to be taken
17:13:56 <djmitche> we don't keep data from the pickle files
17:14:00 <tardyp> extra care has to be taken. buildbot will refuse to update the db from eight to nine
17:14:01 <djmitche> so if you want history, it's tricky
17:14:10 <rjarry> ah
17:14:14 <dol-sen> there is steps /code modifications to do, but that will depend on what your code does
17:14:39 <rjarry> ok so upgrade cannot be done in .deb postinst hooks
17:14:46 <rjarry> that's unfortunate
17:15:16 <tardyp> I don't know if debian does manage the buildbot create master
17:15:26 <rjarry> no
17:15:27 <dol-sen> but uit is well worth it, the new interface is much, much better
17:15:38 <tardyp> anyway people can always downgrade, as the buildbot will not start
17:15:48 <rjarry> yep
17:15:59 <tardyp> so if it does not create the master, it couldn't upgrade in postinst
17:16:05 <rjarry> but that would have been nice to auto upgrade
17:16:33 <tardyp> it is a very difficult task to load the pickle, and upgrade the db
17:16:35 <djmitche> scary though :)
17:16:38 <rjarry> ok I'll leave that to the users
17:16:50 <tardyp> we discussed that long time ago and decided to not do it
17:17:01 <rjarry> with a big warning in the changelog :D
17:17:02 <tardyp> we never had people hard complaining on that
17:17:04 <tardyp> yes
17:17:59 <rjarry> I have to run
17:18:12 <tardyp> ok
17:18:19 <tardyp> lets close
17:18:21 <rjarry> I did not have much time to work on deb packaging, I hope I'll have more time by the end of the month
17:18:24 <tardyp> good discussion
17:18:26 <dol-sen> in our case, history migration was not important or needed, we have both old 0.8 bot running still for one task not yet migrated to the 0.9 bot
17:18:26 <djmitche> ok
17:18:30 <djmitche> indeed,!
17:18:36 <djmitche> nice to see Gentoo and Debian folks sharing notes :)
17:18:47 <tardyp> ahah
17:18:49 <rjarry> :D
17:19:07 <djmitche> #info will defer handling documentation in Debian packaging until later
17:19:11 <djmitche> #endmeeting