16:00:26 <djmitche> #startmeeting weekly
16:00:26 <bb-supy`> Meeting started Tue Apr 17 16:00:26 2018 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is djmitche. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:26 <bb-supy`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:00:26 <bb-supy`> The meeting name has been set to 'weekly'
16:00:33 <djmitche> also, we're having our weekly meeting now
16:00:40 <djmitche> #topic Introduction
16:00:53 <djmitche> bit.ly/2rup31x
16:00:58 <djmitche> sorry https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SAiv3Tk3lACPFVaCNExTjeU7z7NKCKCfP9_2AZ5lpjE/edit
16:01:06 <djmitche> anyone else around? :/
16:01:22 <bdbaddog> here
16:01:44 <rjarry> o/
16:02:30 <djmitche> yah!
16:02:36 <djmitche> but no tardyp?
16:02:40 <bdbaddog> firefox beta updated.. and it's horked.. so I can't bring up the notes until I install firefox non-beta.. :(
16:02:51 <djmitche> ugh, sorry
16:03:11 <bdbaddog> the joys of running the beta.
16:03:39 <djmitche> I'm doing beta too, without much trouble, but yeah, sometimes :(
16:03:43 <djmitche> hm
16:03:47 <djmitche> no weekly email either
16:04:10 <bdbaddog> weekly summary went into my gmail spam folder.
16:04:12 <djmitche> #topic Botherders changes
16:04:13 <djmitche> oh
16:04:38 <djmitche> lol, apparently mailman has been rejecting my weekly meeting notes too
16:05:18 <tardyp> sorry I am late
16:05:49 <djmitche> it's OK#
16:05:54 <djmitche> #topic Week in Review
16:05:57 <djmitche> just in time :)
16:06:12 <tardyp> well well. not much to report
16:07:00 <tardyp> small fix for big restarts
16:07:04 <djmitche> haha, ok
16:07:07 <djmitche> what does that mean?
16:07:30 <tardyp> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/4048
16:07:56 <djmitche> ah, interesting
16:08:04 <tardyp> we added a lock for blocking worker connection while reconfiguring
16:08:17 <djmitche> I saw a criticism of Promises in Node recently, that they always wait for process.nextTick instead of calling immediately
16:08:20 <tardyp> but it ended up with a stack overflow when scaling
16:08:25 <djmitche> from my experience with Twisted, that was a good design decision :)
16:08:25 <tardyp> right
16:08:45 <tardyp> this is less optimal, btut avoids that can of stuff
16:08:47 <djmitche> #info small fixes
16:08:51 <djmitche> yeah
16:08:53 <tardyp> and you made eventually for that
16:09:01 <djmitche> indeed :)
16:09:04 <djmitche> #topic Botherder changes
16:09:15 <djmitche> so I put the vote request out for tomprince, but that's largely a formality
16:09:24 <djmitche> I haven't yet asked any new botherders to step up
16:09:41 <djmitche> b/c I'm lazy
16:10:06 <djmitche> #topic MOSS Wrap-Up
16:10:09 <djmitche> bdbaddog: ^^?
16:10:15 <tardyp> rjarry would you like to become a botherder?
16:10:35 <bdbaddog> I've made no headway. Last week got busy. I'll see if I can. move the ball forward this week.
16:10:36 <rjarry> I don't know what this implies :)
16:11:02 <djmitche> sounds good bdbaddog
16:11:13 <tardyp> part of the administration team. got one vote for all big decisions
16:11:15 <djmitche> rjarry: very little :)
16:11:17 <bdbaddog> botherder = board of directors for buildbot
16:11:17 <rjarry> does it mean that I can bother people ?
16:11:29 <tardyp> nope
16:11:32 <rjarry> hehe :)
16:11:45 <rjarry> well, I would be honored
16:11:57 <djmitche> OK!
16:12:08 <djmitche> #action djmitche to add rjarry as botherder
16:12:12 <djmitche> I'll send an email with more details
16:12:18 <rjarry> thanks !
16:12:29 <bdbaddog> Probably good to send out a blurb on your background and then call for a vote?
16:12:32 <djmitche> nice work tardyp, very persuasive :)
16:12:38 <djmitche> yes
16:13:16 <djmitche> #info rjarry nominated to be new botherder :)
16:13:23 <rjarry> gosh, I'll have to work on my resumé
16:13:28 <djmitche> #topic Chapter Progress
16:13:36 <djmitche> I haven't heard a thing about the "Expert Twisted' book in a long time :(
16:13:51 <tardyp> me neither
16:14:12 <djmitche> well, hopefully it is still happening, but I guess if not that's oK too
16:14:23 <tardyp> yeah
16:14:38 <djmitche> any other topics?
16:15:24 <rjarry> tardyp: maybe this js concat stuff ?
16:15:42 <tardyp> rjarry: I haven't look at it yet
16:15:45 <djmitche> #topic concat stuff
16:15:49 <djmitche> do tell!
16:15:52 <bdbaddog> Saw some pull requests about removing coffeescript?
16:15:54 <tardyp> but I want to do it during my vacation
16:16:01 <djmitche> ah, ok
16:16:04 <tardyp> so we met with rjarry IRL in paris
16:16:12 <rjarry> djmitche: we thought about vendorizing javascript into the .tgz source archive that is used for debian
16:16:14 <djmitche> oh, cool!
16:16:28 <tardyp> we discussed how we move forward in the JS debian stuff
16:16:33 <djmitche> so "vendored" from debian's perspective, but still out-of-tree from buildbot's perspective?
16:16:59 <tardyp> yes
16:17:18 <tardyp> probably we want to create the minimal set of script just to concat the JS
16:17:21 <rjarry> vendoring or vendorizing ? :D
16:17:28 <djmitche> vendorating? :)
16:17:33 <tardyp> guanlecoja also has lot of stuff to ease development
16:17:40 <djmitche> doesn't webpack basically concat?
16:18:05 <rjarry> it also crawls through the source to determine what to concat
16:18:06 <tardyp> webpack concat, but you need to use require
16:18:33 <tardyp> I started a webpack poc. it ends up with too much modification needed
16:18:58 <tardyp> I mean we need to do it already, but that is not the fastest way to debian
16:19:14 <tardyp> so we said maybe we can just write a few python scripts to do the concat
16:19:19 <djmitche> typical vendor/ is copies of source repos (so still human-interpretable)
16:19:28 <djmitche> could you just tar up node_modules?
16:19:45 <djmitche> sorry, I really don't need to get into this myself :)
16:19:49 <tardyp> I think we dont even need any vendoring
16:19:57 <djmitche> ok
16:20:04 <djmitche> #undo
16:20:04 <bb-supy`> Removing item from minutes: <ircmeeting.items.Topic object at 0x807085310>
16:20:04 <tardyp> we can just use the coffee compiler
16:20:15 <djmitche> #topic Vendoring JS for Debian Packages
16:20:17 <tardyp> and the minifier
16:20:21 <djmitche> got it
16:20:33 <tardyp> and write the remaining of the build process a bunch of pythonpython
16:20:39 <djmitche> haha
16:20:54 <rjarry> tardyp: but what about the node + bower dependenceis ?
16:21:07 <rjarry> they need to be vendored into the source tgz for debian
16:21:23 <rjarry> e.g. angular, pug, etc.
16:21:27 <tardyp> yes the bower need to be vendored indeed
16:21:48 <rjarry> we cannot allow any external download during the debian build
16:22:21 <tardyp> jade is in debian
16:22:43 <rjarry> ok
16:22:46 <tardyp> I need to write a small prescript, which will do the bower and prepare the vendor
16:22:59 <tardyp> and we put that in the tarball
16:23:04 <rjarry> and then you can give a search path to npm ?
16:23:20 <rjarry> so that it goes finding missing libs in the correct place ?
16:23:21 <tardyp> no
16:23:38 <tardyp> this will just be concat and put in the begining of the scripts.js
16:23:53 <tardyp> this code is part of the frontend not run by node
16:24:02 <rjarry> ok
16:24:26 <rjarry> all this is still blurry to me, sorry
16:24:30 * djmitche too
16:24:38 <tardyp> guanlecoja/config.coffee describe exactly what to download and which js file to concat in what order
16:25:00 <rjarry> crap I have to run, I'll catch up later
16:25:03 <rjarry> o/
16:25:03 <tardyp> that's why I should do it probably
16:25:07 <djmitche> :)
16:25:14 <djmitche> we're almost out of time anyway
16:25:15 <tardyp> talk to you later
16:25:19 <tardyp> right
16:25:26 <djmitche> #info active topic of discussion for reliable debian packaging..
16:25:29 <djmitche> #endmeeting